Friday, January 8, 2010

Catwalk on the highway

Well folks hold yr breath.....
Lets all take a trip in my car which was unexpected even for me....
It starts when I receive an early morning call from the club saying my brat has his matches at 3.30pm......'Gosh', i say 'how do i manage????'
Anyway..went to office and decided to come over early and take my boy on my two wheeler......
All set and i reach home, when my friend rings me up to tell, 'we have got a car with a driver so come to my place and we all go together'. Thank god i say....atleast i can have a nice one-an-a-half hour nap in the car. Thanking God for being so kind with me i reach her place. I park my two wheeler and see a nice whit color Maruti Wagon R modestly standing near the gate. I smile at it and blow kisses to God for been so kind in this sunny day by saving my two wheeler ride and the next hour and a half going to be royale'.

Me just started to taste this tip of the feeling when my friend hands over the car keys to me and says 'You have to drive today, the driver ditched'. Me flabbergasted??? 'what????me??' i yell at her. she more poised and composed says,' yes you and who else??' Three kids awaiting their matches pleading, 'Aunty please drive us down'.
I knew driving but not up to the mark (atleast that's what i think) though i possess a license.........and now out of the blue i drive a good 40kms one way means 80 kms both ways!!!!! Just look up to see God and call him for help when he just winks at me and says,' Last night u prayed for a car, didn't you???' Now go ahead.....' I say ' nahiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'
but all my yells and shouts of my inner most voices were on deaf ears.

I take the keys. open the door...seat my seat ...fidget with the belt when one of the kids help me to fasten it....slowly hold the steering and try to make friends with it.....and ignite the car.....lo!!! it started....should i really go ahead or call it quits....but the three kids with so much of expectations from me....i looked like a commander for a moment who alone could carry this regiment to victory.
My dear (???) friend who relied completely on my driving made her self comfortable next to me and the three kids behind....
Again looked up at the sky and asked for help when i saw HIM smile and say,' I just heard your pray'. Ok..i say i have many petitions pending in your court...no issue if this is honored.....and my drive starts.
Its a smooth start.....till i reach the National Highway and little short distance from my friends house.....a small truck coming from a wrong direction invites me to the highway....but i successfully steer the car and go my way.....its a good feeling to sit behind the steering which i always wanted to do.....till i don't have to apply my breaks. A little distance more when a big trailer tries to cross the road with its massive structure and i have to idle the car.....with million thoughts will this small engine stop now??/ and even if it stops will it start???? Oh Gosh....i change the gear and stop its not neutral i think its first gear.....but my son from being says 'mom get it on the first its third gear' How does he know sitting at the back and i don't when i can see it....anyway i thank him and accelerate it till the car driver next to knows that i am a first timer...and gives a disgusting look....who cares i say.....i on a mission to reach my kids to the club.......Again my drive starts.....my friend a Gujju....with her endless stories of Ahmedabad....and me only ha ...haa??? ha ha......what else does one expect??? i think i yelled again but within me.....nobody could hear.....

Two signals where green when i could reach them and again thanked the almighty for been kind with me....otherwise how cud i my car pick up again was my main worry. After driving a nice stretch of 8-9 kms ...and feel its smooth sailing suddenly the signal turns red and i halt...here i stop first...within seconds i know there's a huge troop of vehicles behind me.....But by now i have regained some confidence...so don't worry....well well the signal just turned green and i accelerate slowly trying to be an expert and what??? my car goes kaput???? It refuses to budge.....shit i say......Now what??? i can hear the rising decibels of honks happening behind me.......all in different harmony......but none sounded pleasurable....how can one????? I say enough is enough..ignite once again...half clutch..and accelerate.....and the car moves.......it actually works on the law on inertia.....God my physics just flashed back to school......Thanks i tell my physics teacher n roll away trying to be smooth......
Has an evil eye could be jealous on my success.....i take wrong turn...and now i have to reverse and take the other road...now now..trying with both my hands to shift it to reverse...but nah...just not happening......then comes a Messiah...my son...says, 'i help u mom' and....with butterly ease he shifts the gear to reverse and the other child looks behind to tell me that there's nobody behind and i can simply maneuver...Wow...i say how easy and probably alls done......all the kids were God sent angels to help me in disgise....blessed am i!!!!

As i am nearing the club....i have to an uphill to climb........the security guards stop me on this uphill and check the car for security reasons....well here i stop...after that how do i go further...the car goes reverse....i put the hand break and try again....but as He wishes...it was going reverse...but not ahead. Then somebody comes up to me...he was the driver of the car behind me..says 'Mam its easy...half clutch and accelerate'. I say "Yes Sir!!" and i could.......and i reach the club.

You never know who will come in the midst of the journey...or a red signal, or a reverse in life or in the most difficult uphill task to shoulder responsibility......for me all were God sent........I could with equal easy cat walk the car home with more confidence on this ramp with unforeseen responsibility laid on me successfully.

2 comments:

  1. Good one... fun driving adventure! and what was the result of the matches?

    ReplyDelete
  2. VG, next time you pray be precise and complete....

    ReplyDelete